Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe
Before You Start
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) cold unsalted Kerrygold butter
- 3 cups King Arthur unbleached flour, plus more for dusting
- 1½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1½ tablespoons white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using the small holes of a box grater, grate the cold butter into a large cold bowl. The finer the butter, the better. Place the butter and bowl in the freezer.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, white sugar, and salt.
- Once the oven is preheated completely, remove the butter from the freezer and cut it into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter (a bench scraper or your fingertips will work, too) until the mixture looks like crumbs. There should be some pea-size lumps of butter remaining.
- Add the buttermilk and stir until combined. The dough should be wet and sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a well-floured work surface. Dust the top of the dough with flour as well.
- Gently work the dough until it comes together, then fold it in half using a bench scraper and gently flatten with the palm of your hand. Repeat this kneading process five more times, folding the dough in on itself each time.
- Using your hands, flatten the dough to about 1 inch thick and cut out biscuits with a 2¾-inch biscuit cutter, pressing straight down rather than twisting the cutter. Dip the cutter in flour before each use to keep the dough from sticking to it. Cut as many biscuits as possible.
- Place the biscuits on the lined baking sheet with the biscuits just about touching each other, in rows of four. Lightly press your thumb into the middle of each biscuit to keep the tops from doming.
- Rework the remaining dough and repeat the process until you have as many biscuits as you can; you should end up with 12–14 total.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes.
Let Us Make Breakfast for You
Afterwards, head out to explore the Columbia River Gorge or relax with coffee on your porch and breath in majestic PNW beauty. With beautiful surroundings, luxurious accommodations and a multitude of activities in the area – you’ll find there’s no end of things to do.
Pick your favorite cabin today and get ready for a romantic getaway you won’t soon forget!