Carson Ridge Crème Brûlée French Toast
One of the most powerful motivators to get out of our fabulous, hand-crafted beds at our Hood River bed and breakfast after a peaceful night is the knowledge that breakfast is eminent. And if you play your cards right it just might be a delicious helping of Crème Brûlée French Toast with luscious, juicy blueberries. Our selection of menu items rotates daily so our guests truly are spoiled, rarely having the same breakfast entree twice during most stays here at Carson Ridge Luxury Cabins.
So, for those of you who have been spoiled here, I lovingly share this recipe. And for those of you who have not been here yet – I challenge you to make this and not wish you were deep in the heart of the Columbia River Gorge at our bed and breakfast cabins being spoiled as someone else makes this yummy treat just for you!
Printable copy of our Carson Ridge Crème Brûlée French Toast
Before You Start
Bake 30-35 minutes
Prepare Grease one 9×9 dish with butter
- 4 Eggs
- 1¼ Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 4 or 5 Slices Whole Grain Bread cubed in 1” squares ( fill the dish about ½ full)
- 1 Cup Seasonal berries
- 2 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey
- Butter the dish
- Fill with bread cubes. We use frozen bread which holds its shape better but day old bread would be an alternative. We prefer seed bread such as Dave’s Killer Bread “Good Seed” or older croissants are great choices!
- Scald the milk
- Blend eggs, brown sugar & vanilla in blender
- Slowly pour the hot milk onto the egg mixture in the blender with the blender still running. This stops the milk from cooking the eggs
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread & then top with seasonal berries
- In small sauce pan combine topping ingredients and bring to a simmer for a minute, thickening the mixture
- Pour over the surface of the bread cubes and bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes, until the bread on top is golden brown and a knife comes out clean
- You can also marinate the bread and mixture overnight without the fruit and then add the fruit and topping just prior to baking
- A special finishing touch… add a scoop of “Tillamook Old-Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream”
Have Breakfast with Us!
Take a peak at our other bed and breakfast treats to create vacation memories in your own kitchen. Or, book a stay in our Washington cabins and we’ll serve you up a homemade 3 course breakfast every morning!
Just one hour from Portland and 30 minutes from Hood River, our cabins make the perfect basecamp for exploring the Columbia River Gorge. Come join us for a Pacific Northwest adventure you won’t soon forget!