Top 50 Southwest Washington Things to Do
With rushing rivers, gorgeous cascades, and stunning scenic overlooks, there’s no place like the Columbia River Gorge. Whether you are looking for a relaxing retreat in nature, an adventure-filled getaway, or just a place to get away from it all, Carson Ridge Luxury Cabins is the perfect home base. With so many things to do near Hood River, it can be challenging to know where to start. Take a look at our list and start planning!
To make it even easier, we created our complimentary Vacation Guide. Inside, you’ll find all of the best things to do in Southwest Washington, our favorite restaurants, local businesses, and more. Researching for a trip can be challenging and time-consuming, so we created this free guide to save you from hours of research. Now, you can spend more time on what’s important: making memories.
50 of the Best Things to Do Near Hood River
If we could choose only 50 things to do in Hood River and Southwest Washington during a stay at Carson Ridge Luxury Cabins, this would be it. Of course, we are full of local suggestions. If there’s something you need a recommendation on, just ask.
- Absolutely nothing. When was the last time you took a break and pampered yourself?
- Take the short drive to Panther Creek Falls, one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the area. It’s only a 20-minute drive from our cabins!
- Visit an active volcano, Mount St. Helens.
- Relax and rejuvenate with a luxurious spa treatment in the privacy of your own cabin.
- Get a true taste of the Columbia River Gorge when you go on a wine tasting tour. We’d be more than happy to give you recommendations on where to go.
- Explore the Hood River County Fruit Loop for the freshest fruits you have ever experienced. If you go during the peak time in the spring, you’ll get to see trees blooming, too!
- Watch the Gorge come to life when you come to see the wildflowers in the spring or summer.
- See stunning views of the Columbia River from the top of Beacon Rock.
- Hike to the stunning Falls Creek Falls, then relax with a picnic at its base.
- Start your day off right with a delicious, complimentary breakfast.
- Explore our winter wonderland after some fresh snow when you go cross-country skiing.
- View the Gorge aboard the Sternwheeler that leaves from Cascade Locks Marine Park.
- Go windsurfing or try a windsurfing lesson.
- Soak in your jetted tub with the lavender bath salts.
- Challenge yourself to a game of golf.
- Visit Herman the Sturgeon at the Bonneville Dam Fish Hatchery. Herman is a 10-foot, 70-year-old fish.
- Get cozy in your custom-made log bed and watch a movie.
- Try some beer at one of the many craft breweries in our area.
- Seek some thrills when you go whitewater rafting on the Columbia River.
- Enjoy bird watching right from your own porch.
- Visit the lavender farms in Hood River.
- Enjoy snowmobiling over fresh powder in the winter.
- Challenge your sweetheart to a board game or card game in your cabin. We have lots!
- Go on a spelunking tour of one of the many caves in Washington State.
- Try snowshoeing some trails in the winter. We provide complimentary snowshoes for guests.
- Go fishing for sturgeon, salmon, or steelhead in one of the many local rivers.
- Drive through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest and marvel at the massive trees.
- Relax on the log porch swing and let your worries drift away.
- Visit a partial replica of the Stonehenge at Maryhill State Park.
- Find a quiet place in the gardens to paint, write, or read.
- Take a road trip along Carson Ridge to get a spectacular view of the volcanoes.
- Visit the flight museum in Hood River to see one of the largest collections of still-flying antique airplanes and still-driving antique automobiles in the country.
- Hike a section of the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Take a leisurely stroll around the gardens and smell the flowers.
- Try to spot Bigfoot!
- Relax in the Adirondack chairs overlooking the meadow, sipping a glass of wine as the sun sets over the Gorge.
- Hike Catherine Creek and enjoy the wildflowers.
- Try a kayaking adventure.
- Enjoy the convenience of delicious pizza at Backwoods Brewing Company just across the street.
- Shop at the outlet stores in Troutdale.
- Visit the Indian Heaven Wilderness area; you’ll find gorgeous views, fresh huckleberries, and more than 150 lakes!
- Try some fresh Hood River cider made with local ingredients.
- Reach new heights when you try mountain biking through our rugged terrain.
- Catch some live music.
- See stunning views from the scenic overlooks on the Cape Horn Trail.
- Step back in time at the Pittock Mansion.
- Try some fruity wine then pick your own bouquet of flowers at the Gorge White House.
- See incredible, naturally-made ice sculptures in the Guler Ice Caves.
- Stargaze at the Goldendale Observatory State Park.
- Plan your stay at Carson Ridge Luxury Cabins!
Book Your Getaway Today
Now that you know all the things to do in Hood River and Southwest Washington, planning your getaway will be a breeze. Browse our cabins to pick your favorite, then book your stay. During your vacation, you’ll be treated to our outstanding amenities including a delicious breakfast each morning. Explore by day and relax by our firepit by night. So, what are you waiting for? Book the getaway of a lifetime today.